Monday, May 08, 2017

The Value of a Virtual Community

Noah' Car
Typecast281

Post-Script: Noah is now in his own room at the hospital, and is mostly sleeping. Skin grafts will begin in a few days. Thank you all, near and far, for your thoughts and prayers.

I sat out on the back porch this afternoon, Olympia SF in my lap, typing while smoking a cigar. I hope this typecast isn't permeated with the aroma, for you sensitive nonsmoking readers. I observed that, while the last round of adjustments seem to have mostly fixed this machine's line spacing issues, there's a bit of wonkiness on the first letters after a carriage return. So not 100% yet. Repairing these entirely mechanical devices is, appropriately enough, an analog function. It's not like it's either entirely broken or entirely perfect, a Boolean logic function, but always somewhere in between, in that fuzzy gray area of real life. Such it will be with Noah's recovery, too. We'll give him all the support he needs. Best of all, the body has built-in healing systems of regeneration, unlike this inanimate assemblage of metal.

I feel the need to get at least one video produced this week, but haven't settled on a topic. And I need a haircut, and the barbershop doesn't open till tomorrow. Maybe something to do with reading through the archive of Noah's old typings, and the value of getting kids started with typewriters - even though, in his case, he really hasn't been using a typewriter for a few years. Still, there's something about these strictly mechanical devices as enablers of creativity, for this generation of millenials who didn't grow up with them as a regular part of their lives.

Regarding the top photo of Noah's car, I wasn't certain about posting it online, but there it is, in all its ugliness. I don't intend on keeping this blog entirely focused on this family issue, but I'll keep you updated as events warrant. Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

Facebook does have its uses as a powerful connection tool. Note that you can "unfollow" someone without "unfriending" them. I don't know whether, if you're following, you can avoid seeing every little thing that they've liked.

Here's hoping that Noah will heal steadily and surely.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Joe,

I enjoyed your typewritten blog and post script.

Seeing the car like that brings it home :(

I'm sure I speak for all your followers when I say we'd appreciate any updates as you have them regarding Noah's progress, but we know as far as your videos go these will just be a bonus at this point. We know you're a working man and will be at the hospital a lot of the coming weeks so your family takes priority and we understand that. Saying that, I think you get as much pleasure out of your videos and blogs as we do watching and reading them so it's all good.

Best wishes and thinking of you all.


12:57 PM  
Blogger Walter said...

You type quite calmly for a father with a son in the hospital. Wishing you and Noah well. ~TH~

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Welcome to the wacky world of FB, don't be skeerd, the water's fine :D

Boy, that's a mess, but we can pause a moment to thank the engineers who designed the car to smash without smashing the occupant much, and the safety regulators who made them do it. I imagine they don't get much thanks for that, but you might lift a beer in regard to their efforts as you ponder the twisted metal and broken glass. A lot of people are still alive thanks to that work, maybe Noah too (:

1:19 PM  
Blogger Justin Lamb said...

1. I'm glad to have found your blog again. I was active in the Typosphere a few years ago and then sort of stopped doing it. (I still have a blog but haven't typecasted anything in a long time).

2. I'm glad your grandson is doing well. That's a nasty pic.

3. Smoke on! I'm actually smoking a pipe on my front porch while typing this. Have a good day.

11:38 AM  
Blogger astrobeck said...

Happy to hear Noah is doing okay....okay being a relative term.
I'll keep him in my thoughts and hope for the best with the skin grafts coming up. Wishing you and your family well and strength.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

You present thee best information related to value of virtual community in detail. I found more information through this post. Moreover, If you are worried related to roofing repairing and installation work then you should hire Roofing Contractors Weymouth MA foo quality work.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

Virtual cumminty is very powerful. As you've explained it very well. I totally agree with you.Now it's time to avail Inbound Call Centre for more information.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home