Thursday, September 14, 2017

Typing Assignment No.9


Typing Assignment 8, which was to write in the style of a favorite author, received good results, being simultaneously enjoyable and yet challenging. Myself, I wrote a piece inspired by William Gibson, though not necessarily in his exact style.

For our next assignment, we will be writing a hypothetical story in the life of a real-life stranger that you periodically see. This idea was inspired by my wife, who mentioned some of the strangers she sees regularly, like the checkout clerk at the grocer's, or the mother walking her kids to school. Everybody has a story, it seems; and writers love to spin those stories into something other people will enjoy. So dust off your typewriters and start thinking about those strangers that you periodically see in the course of you day. What's their story? You tell us!

Make a legible scan or photograph of your typewritten piece, post it to a publicly-accessible photo hosting website, then post the link to the image in the comments below. Alternatively, you can leave comments in the corresponding YouTube video. Or, email me with the image as an attachment, to jvcabacus (at) yahoo.com I hope you have fun with this assignment. The results will be due by Sunday, September 24.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger TokyoJAM said...

Hi Joe. Here's my Typing Assignment No. 9, written on "Cagney" - my 1951 Smith-Corona Sterling. I used the Pacific Hotel Chigasaki stationery that came with the typer to write on and inform my story. I hope everyone enjoys it.

https://sites.google.com/site/jamunroe/home/typing-assignment-no-9

4:08 AM  
Blogger andrew nicholls said...

Hi Joe and fellow Typing addicts! Here is the link to my assignment number 9 written on a Gossen Tippa (in need of a bit of a clean I think). I often see a guy in his 60's, usually shirtless running around the sea front. He always does the shadow boxing moves which made me wonder about his past....Enjoy!
http://andypoetwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/typing-assignment-number-9-running-man.html

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Andykev said...

Here is typing assignment #9. A fictional compilation.
https://andykev.com/typing-assignment-9/

5:42 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Typing assignment #9. Real person and event, my own (fictional) interpretation.
https://lastingquestions.blogspot.com/

7:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Everyone, here is my contribution written on a 1976 Erika Model 34 (near as I can tell).

brokestuff.wordpress.com/2017/09/24/mr-shuffles/

6:05 PM  
Blogger DoHaeng Michael Kitchen said...

Coming in under the wire. Here's my submission, typed on my 1954 Olivetti Lettera 22. Thanks!

https://dohaeng.com/2017/09/24/september-24-2017-typing-assignment-9/

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home